Q: What ITIL Qualifications exist and where I can train for them?
There are three levels of certification in the ITIL qualification scheme.

Foundation Certificate

This is designed to provide a foundation level of knowledge in IT Service Management and is aimed at all personnel who wish to become familiar with the best practices for IT Service Management, as defined in the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL). The Foundation Certificate in particular enables people to understand the terminology used within ITIL.

Practitioner’s Certificate

This is aimed at those who are responsible within their organisation for designing specific processes within the IT Service Management discipline, and performing the activities that belong to those processes. The Practitioner’s Certificates focus on the depth of understanding and application of those subjects, treating each subject as a specialism.

Manager’s Certificate

The Manager’s Certificate is aimed at those who need to demonstrate a capability for managing ITIL-based solutions across the breadth of the Service Management subjects.

ITIL accreditation demonstrates that an individual has met the standards in Service Management as set by an examination certification board comprising representatives from OGC, itSMF and the Examination Institutes.

Official professional qualifications based on ITIL are currently offered by the following Examination Institutes.

Which Examination Institute should I use?
A: The qualifications of both ISEB and EXIN have equal value. Details of the Examination Institutes can be found on the Training Information page of this web site

Q: In what countries are training courses available?
A: This information is available from the two Examination Institutes ISEB and EXIN, for ISEB click here.  For EXIN click here.

Q: What are the benefits of having an ITIL qualification?
A: ITIL qualifications are recognised world-wide. Whether you passed your exam via ISEB or EXIN the qualification is recognised by industry, wherever you decide to work or reside.

Q: How do I become an ITIL training provider?
A: You will need to be accredited by an official ITIL Examination Institute. Further information is available from the British Computer Society web site

Q: Which publications are required for specific courses?
A: Details of the publications related to specific courses can be found by contacting the Examination Institutes.
For ISEB click here.  For EXIN click here (see Question 6 in the ‘Preparation’ section).

Q: I have lost my examination certificate, how do I get a replacement?
A: To get a replacement certificate you should contact the Examination Institute through which you gained your qualification. If you are not aware who this was you should contact your course provider.